Americana Poptail Recipe
Get the good times rolling with this red, white and boozy poptail! It looks like freedom and tastes like a pina colada. Served with an extra shot of rum and pineapple juice in a Pop Rocks (ahem, fireworks) rimmed glass, the Americana Colada Poptail does not disappoint. Watch the video or view the recipe below to get started.
|PREP 25 min||INACTIVE 36 hours||READY IN 36.5 hours|
- 16 oz. Coconut rum
- 5 oz. Pineapple juice
- 5 oz. Coconut yogurt
- Maraschino cherries
- 1 bag frozen blueberries
- 1 cup simple syrup Garnish
- Red or blue Poprocks
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup Required
- Popsicle mold
- Popsicle sticks
- Electric blender
- Fill small bowl with maraschino cherries. Add just enough rum to cover cherries. Chill overnight.
- Fill top third of each popsicle mold with 3-5 rum soaked cherries. Lightly compact with bottom edge of spoon to ensure cherries freeze into one mass. Freeze for one hour.
- While the first layer is in the freezer, prep ingredients for 2nd layer. In a small mixing bowl, combine 5 oz coconut yogurt, 1 oz rum and 1 oz pineapple juice. Place in refrigerator.
- When the cherries have begun to freeze together, gently add yogurt mixture to the popsicle mold. Fill mold until it is 2/3rd full. While pouring, avoid dripping on the outer edges of the individual mold. Pour slowly in the center of the well to avoid messy layers.
- Add popsicle sticks to each mold. Tip: To hold popsicle sticks upright in liquid, use a small sheet of aluminum foil that's the same size and dimensions as the top of the mold. Fold the sheet in half lengthwise, align it with the edge of the mold, and cut slits in the foil that align with the center of each of the wells. Unfold the sheet of foil and place it over the mold. Insert the popsicle sticks into each slit, being careful not to move the foil. Be sure the stick penetrates the first layer.
- Using an electric blender, puree 1 bag frozen blueberries, 1 cup simple syrup and 1 oz rum. Layer over frozen yogurt and fill the rest of the mold. Freeze overnight.
- 10 minutes before serving the poptails, prep the glassware and individual shots.
- To rim the glass with pop rocks, start by pouring 2 tablespoons of corn syrup onto a small plate. Then, open the pop rocks packet and pour onto another small plate. Dip the rim of each glass into the corn syrup and then the pop rocks. Work quickly as the pop rocks stick best when first opened.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine ice, 4 oz coconut rum and 4 oz pineapple juice. Shake well. Strain into four garnished glasses.
- Remove poptails from freezer. Run mold under warm water, being careful not to get any water in the mold. Remove from water, turn upside and gently slide frozen pop out.
- Serve poptails alongside garnished drink and encourage guests to savor their pop by allowing it to melt into the drink. Enjoy!