Durable, heavy-duty, and attractive, aluminum patio furniture has been a top choice for consumers since it first became popular during the early twentieth century. Many people love aluminum because of the minimal amount of care that is required to keep it looking like new, and the wide array of styles available to match any outdoor space.
Cast aluminum, or solid aluminum, is made by pouring hot metal into a mold. It is typically more stable and is capable of showcasing more intricate designs. Extruded aluminum is hollow, and is more lightweight than cast aluminum.
Caring for Aluminum Furniture
When aluminum is exposed to the atmosphere, a thin layer of oxide forms on the surface. This microscopic layer protects the metal from water exposure, hence why quality aluminum is resistant to rusting.This resistance makes maintenance and upkeep fairly simple, but following a few easy steps can help ensure your furniture stays looking like new!
- If you notice a slight discoloration on aluminum furniture, clean with mild soap and warm water
- If aluminum has become rough to the touch, smooth the surface with steel wool and soap, but make sure to remove all traces of steel wool after cleaning
- Drain any water that has accumulated inside the frame by removing foot caps from the bottom of the legs
- Remember not to use harsh commercial cleaners on anodized aluminum
Cleaning Aluminum Furniture
- Spray a cleaner like 303 Indoor and Outdoor Multi-Surface Cleaner onto the aluminum
- Use a soft-bristled brush or sponge to scrub all surfaces of the furniture
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water
- Let furniture air dry (preferably in filtered sunlight or partial shade) completely before putting cushions back on or storing
- Once dry, protect with 303 Indoor and Outdoor Protectant by spraying furniture and rubbing in with a soft cloth
Don't forget to check out our patio furniture covers to give your furniture some added protection!